What is the Difference Between Compound and Sliding Miter Saw?
Let us start with the basics. What is a miter saw? Well, it is a saw used to make precise crosscuts and miters by pulling a large circular sharp blade on board quickly. Using a miter saw is the quickest way to crosscuts. Sometimes they are also called chop saws. There are 3 types of miter saw, but we will be discussing 2 of them, and What is the difference between compound and sliding miter saw? Hope that at the end of this article you will be able to compare these 2 saws and find the perfect one for you
Compound Vs Sliding Miter Saw
It is a common question from the people that how do sliding miter saws differ from compound miter saws? Well here is a brief discussion about what compound miter saw and sliding miter saw is:
Compound Miter Saw:
They stay in a fixed position and have an additional advantage over other miter saws. They can cut at a different angle each time by just tilting their blade in a single direction. Thus it enables them to bevel cut which means a ramp angled cut into the side of the wood. So one can perform both bevel cuts as well as miter cuts.
What are The Pros and Cons of a Compound and Sliding Miter Saw?
Pros and Cons of Compound Miter Saw:
- Consists of a miter detent plate which improves productivity and ensures cutting accuracy.
- Has miter detent override which enables you to change and make the setting you desire without the risk of saw slipping in the deterrent.
- The fence is perpendicular to the blade which increases the accuracy of cutting.
- It is comfortable to use.
- This is efficient as it saves lots of time and energy.
- It takes less space.
- The compound miler saw is a bit less expensive than the other saws.
- It wears out after a few uses.
- It is really loud thus a bit hard to use.
Pros and Cons of Sliding Miler Saw:
- This is ultra-flexible.
- It helps the user to quickly and easily flip the saw blade for which the material can be left in place.
- Has detents from various angles which ensures more accuracy for every kind of cut.
- Can be used for dado or rabbit cuts.
- It is really easy to use as it has extensions on both sides which increases the stability of the work surface.
- Some of the sliding miter saws are loud so they may become hard to use for some users.
- They are Expensive if you compare them with others.
- They need more as their design features a front-to-back movement, sliders just need more room to work.
Which Saw is Best for Different Types of Jobs?
It depends on what kind of job you are planning to do. Because different saw has different benefits thus check properly before starting any work with a random saw. Here are some factors you need to bear in your mind before buying a miter saw for different kinds of jobs.
Blade size is a very important factor for choosing a miter saw. The most common miter saw sizes are 8, 10, 12 inches. Use larger diameter blades for larger cuts. Also, keep in mind that the larger the dimension, the more expensive it will be.
Miter saw higher amp means it will cut well with even greater power. So amp measures the power of the motor. Thus more motor power, more efficiency, and less time will be consumed.
The Laser Led Lights:
The laser lights will help the user to give a clear view while working.
Size of The Miter Saw:
If u need to cut deeper materials like 1X12 then buy a 12” meter saw as it will be perfect for you. Cutting vertical crown tall also often require this size saw.
A 10’ miter saw if you want a good mixture of capacity and portability.
Buy a less than 10” miter saw if you have any plan to cut a smaller base, crown, and door trim. Also if you want to prioritize portability first then this will be the best choice for you.
Do You Want A Compound Miter Saw Or a Sliding Miter Saw?
Buy A compound miter saw if you plan to cut wood as opposed to metal. As compound miter saw can bevel cut in addition to its mitering ability. So if you want to work with crown molding or other trim then a compound miter saw is the best thing for you.
Buy a sliding miter saw if need to cut deeper materials like 1X12 or 2X12 lumber. A sliding miter saw can add rails to let the saw blade back across the wood. It also enables you to make compound cuts. But if you want a compact saw with more portability then you can pass buying this sliding miter saw.
It also depends on your budget. If your budget is a bit less than a compound miter saw is more preferable for you.
Now let us discuss What is the difference between compound and sliding miter saw?
The main difference between them is the width of the material they can cover. A sliding miter saw can do everything a compound miter saw can. So sliding miler saw can cut more deeply with more accuracy. Thus cutting a thicker material will be much more efficient and easier.
We know for you this kind of decision can be a little tough but that is why we are here for. So here we are with this article to clear all your doubts. Finally, we want to say is that whether you are an experienced woodworker or just a beginner who is starting to build up the collection of your power tools, a miter saw is a necessary tool for you that allows making a variety of angles. So if you still are using a miter box then it is high time for an upgrade. Hope this article cleared all your doubts about What is the difference between compound and sliding miter saw?